A blog about me and my adventure as an ex-pat.
Because someone told me to... Thank you Gaby.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

thankful

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is my 100th post! Woohoo! Just over a year of blogging...

I am so pleased that I started this whole thing. I love writing it and hearing your feedback.
It gives me a purpose. Something I have achieved. A bit like a job. Except my ideal job would be surrounded by people, creating something physical; not sitting on my own in front of the computer. (And the pay is rubbish!!)

I have even started to print it out and stick the pages into a scrapbook. I'm hoping it will be a great way to remember what we did whilst we were here. I am halfway through the second book - goodness how big it will all be by the time I finish!

So thank you to my readers for keeping me going and my lovely husband for his patience when I am writing this instead of doing what I am supposed to be doing... But you know when inspiration hits, I just have to type!

It's Thanksgiving this week. Another odd holiday for a Brit family living in the USA. We were in England this time last year so missed out on all of the fun. But this year both of the kids have been learning all about the history and traditions of Thanksgiving at school. Singing songs like "Turkey and Stuffing" and bringing home beautiful turkeys cut out of paper.

Charlotte asked me if we were having a turkey for Thanksgiving and got excited when I said yes. She also asked if it would have a gobble... Hmmm me thinks she is expecting something with a head and brightly coloured feathers... I think a bare white bird in the oven might be a bit of a disappointment! Let's hope the other food will distract her!

For lunch we are planning to have turkey, sweet potato mash, green bean casserole (ingredients courtesy of my lovely friend) and creamed corn all served with cranberry jelly and apple sauce. And to finish, a pumpkin pie baked by a friend and her family who were raising money for charity and dropped it off at our house today. I am not sure what we will make of the pie. I've heard a lot of people say they don't like it but apparently it won't be Thanksgiving without one!

There have been so many pumpkin products on the shelves over the last couple of months... Pumpkin muffins, cupcakes, coffee, sponge rolls, bread, chocolate chip tealoaf to mention just a few that I have enjoyed!! (seriously impossible to lose weight here!) They really do do each holiday here to the max so I will be ready to say goodbye to pumpkins and hello to peppermint candy canes and gingerbread for Christmas.

November is a time to give thanks. To think of something every day that you are thankful for. I have so many things that I am thankful for and I hope we will spend some time tomorrow, maybe before dinner, sharing them with each other. It will be so nice to have some quality family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment