A blog about me and my adventure as an ex-pat.
Because someone told me to... Thank you Gaby.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

friends are worth their weight in gold

Someone told me recently to see the positive in everything, even when times are tough and it feels impossible to think there could be a good side.

Well we are going through a really tough time at the moment. I can't even begin to write how I feel about it all, but one thing has really struck me this week. And that is the power of friendship. 

I am a believer in a problem shared and I always want to help people. If someone tells me their problem I instantly want to help fix it or find a solution. But I am not very good at receiving help which is pretty hypocritical, I know! 

Well since we have told people about Jeremy's bladder tumour (which we recently found out is cancerous) we have been brought to tears by the love and support not only our family has given us but our friends have shown us too. 

There are people back in the UK who have sent us lovely emails which have been very touching to read. I sent out lots of emails to tell people what was happening and asked that people reply with their news, that we love hearing of news from home, however mundane it seems to them. So many of our friends and family replied. It made me realise how many amazing people we have left behind in the UK. All the years of friendship that we know will stand the test of distance and time.

And there are our new friends. Our neighbours and people I have met at MOPS or through Jeremy's work. They have all been amazing, offering emotional and practical support. We've had people babysit the kids at short notice, bake us cookies, cook us dinner, offers of help from everyone. We feel so blessed to have met so many wonderful people who want to help us so selflessly. 

And here is my positive in all of this. My relationship with Jeremy is stronger than it has ever been and I know we can get through this together but I have also learnt a lot about friendship.

So all I can say to them is thank you, you don't know how much it means to us that you are there for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment