A blog about me and my adventure as an ex-pat.
Because someone told me to... Thank you Gaby.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

yams and marshmallows

I got a Thanksgiving day card from Jeremy which went along the lines of...

"To the one I love.
Like sweet corn and butter, we make quite a pair.
Like peas mixed with carrots, we're good anywhere.
Like yams and marshmallows, as partners we rule.
Like salad and dressing our union is cool...."

I questioned it but then dismissed it and got on with the rest of the day. But it kept niggling at me.
Yams (sweet potatoes) and marshmallows?! I don't get it.

So I did some research online and found a dish called Sweet potato casserole with toasted marshmallows. The recipe states that you cook and mash the potatoes then put half on the bottom of a casserole dish. Add a layer of mini marshmallows and then the rest of the potato followed by a topping of... yep more marshmallows!

That episode of Friends springs to mind when Rachel is trying to make an English trifle but the recipe book pages are stuck together and she makes it half shepherds pie and half trifle.
Ross says "It tastes like feet!" but Joey says "Well I like it... I mean what's not to like? Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good!".

I love sweet potatoes and I love toasted marshmallows but I just can't imagine I would like them together... served with the main course!! Yep I asked on facebook and a couple of my local friends confirmed it was a staple side dish at their Thanksgiving meals!

There is another 'treat' I have yet to try but have not been brave enough... Maple syrup and bacon cupcakes.

When you go for brunch here and order a pancake breakfast, you get sausage, egg, hashbrowns and pancakes. All together. Sometimes on the same plate and sometimes (the massive stack of) pancakes come on a separate plate. I used to eat the savoury as fast as possible to try and get to the pancakes before they got cold, but usually failed. And I love maple syrup on them. I was a firm fan of crepes with sugar and lemon but I have to say I would miss the maple syrup if it wasn't there.

And I have to admit I have come around to eating it all together. A few mouthfuls of savoury and a few of pancakes. Honestly it's not that strange! (... Oh how I have changed!)

And it's not that maple syrup and bacon is particularly weird because I love honey glazed ham and that's practically the same, but when I order a sweet cup cake as a treat with a coffee (yep no hot builders tea served in these parts) I am just not sure I want it to come with maple syrup and bacon on it!

I am really loving the sweet salty combo in kettle corn, salted caramel and chocolate coated pretzels so there is hope for me yet... Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment