A blog about me and my adventure as an ex-pat.
Because someone told me to... Thank you Gaby.

Monday, January 2, 2012

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

It snowed last night! Big time!

We knew there was a snow storm coming - everyone has been talking about it. Our neighbours said they have only had one 'green' Christmas in 14 years so it was a big disappointment when there was no snow on Christmas Day this year! It did snow a couple of days later but only an inch or so.

Last night it started to snow and the wind got up. The roads were pretty icy and cars were skidding at the traffic lights... Even the locals need to remember how to drive in the snow and ice. I'm quite nervous about driving in the snow. I am still learning my way round town, the kids are quite distracting and then I have to watch that someone doesn't rear end me skidding on the ice!

We went to bed with a light covering of snow over the ground and the promise of more in the weather forecast.

And then at 3:30am we heard the snow ploughs. They are contracted to come and clear the drive after 2 inches of snow has fallen. Jeremy jumped up out of bed and ran to the window to see them in action. We found out this morning that his parents did the same! I on the other hand was far too comfy and snug in my bed to be excited about a couple of snow ploughs! Not only did our company clear our drive and nextdoor but another company was up the court clearing a drive and then they came and ploughed the road. It was quite a lot of commotion in the middle of the night... Oh joy we will have this for another 3 or 4 months!!

But then the fun began! After breakfast and showers we got 'geared up' - a performance in itself! Over the top of our normal clothes we put on our snow trousers, coats, boots, mittens and hats.  Well worth the effort though - I was very snug in my get-up!

The snow is beautiful!! Soft, light and fluffy! We think we got about 4 inches over the last 18 hours. It certainly came up to the kids' knees is some places. Everything was covered and it seemed such a shame to disturb it. The whole street has been transformed into a white winter wonderland.

We have been talking about the snow since we decided to move here but I really didn't think it would happen. It's surreal to stand out in the street, deep in snow, talking to the neighbour who is clearing his drive with a snow blower, when just a few months ago, we were stood out there, in the heat and humidity, enjoying a cold beer!

So we enjoyed our time outside, shovelling the snow away from the end of the drive where the snow plough had dumped it, sledging and making snow angels. I learnt a valuable lesson - keep your head up when you land on the snow as I managed to bump my head on landing. But I was very impressed with my first attempt at a snow angel!

After 30 minutes or so, the kids were tired and cold and then the tears began. It's going to take us a while to get used to all of the snow and the cold temperatures. It's -4oC outside today which apparently isn't that cold! Great, can't wait for anything colder!

But for now I am snug and warm indoors, watching the Princess and the Frog with Charlotte and enjoying looking out of the window and seeing heavy snow falling. Goodness knows how much will have fallen by tea-time and how many times we will see the snow ploughs today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment