A blog about me and my adventure as an ex-pat.
Because someone told me to... Thank you Gaby.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

vive la france

During our home leave trip, we were lucky enough to be able to visit friends who recently moved to France. And my parents agreed to have the kids for us so we could go on our own. Bonus! Sorry kids but it was our only chance for a weekend away on our own so we took it, dropped the kids at their Grandparents Friday afternoon and headed off to Manchester airport!

Our friends live about 30 or 40 minutes south of Geneva airport, near Lac d'Annecy in the Haute-Savoie region of France. And it is beautiful. They are living the dream!

I would describe our trip with 3 Fs... friendship, food and fresh air.

We ate amazingly good food, probably half my body weight in cheese and sausage, washed down with plenty of red wine and served with fabulous fresh bread. And not forgetting the most delicious pastries I've ever had. I thought I didn't like eclairs but tasting the chocolate filled ones from the local boulangerie has changed my mind!
They made a delicious tartiflette which is a regional dish from their area made with potatoes, reblochon cheese, lardons and onions. I asked how they made the sauce to discover it is just melted cheese.

And yet I swear I lost weight that weekend. We walked and walked and walked some more. And I loved it.

We walked round the local food market, then round the lake and into town for lunch (I had duck and goats cheese crostini salad) then J and I walked up the 'hill' to the kids' school. Man o man that was a hill! I took some photos but appear to have lost them. Anyways the view was stunning, even though it was foggy. I have no idea how those kids walk up that hill... I would be carrying ours after 2 minutes!
And the next day we headed out to another part of the lake - Sevrier, for a walk and picnic. The kids happily rode their bikes or ran round the busy cycle path. I see why French people are all so skinny!

They have a pretty healthy take on life. Lots of exercise and big meals which take a long time to consume rather than fast food and snacking all day which I am extremely guilty of!

I am so proud of my friend. She is so much more adventurous than me! I have it easy moving to a country where I speak the language (well kind of) and driving is really easy.

We had a wonderful time and hope to go back again before too long. Two years was too long between visits with that lovely family!


Top left: The view from our room.
Top right: Our friends' apartment. They have the top floor. 
It is so French with shutters on the window and tiled floors, including the stairs. 
Bottom left: Walking through the town.
Bottom right: I could have taken photos of every single building in the town 
- they were all so beautiful! 


A feast to be had at the local market. 
Artichokes, the most beautiful tomatoes, cheese anyone and oh la la olives!! Yummy!! 


Did I mention all the great food?! 
Top left: My duck and goats cheese lunch.
Top right and bottom left: Pastries! 
Bottom right: This delicious bottle of wine cost about 6 Euro / £5 / $7.50. 
No wonder he refused to buy French wine in England when it costs £14 there!! 


Out and about round the lake and town. We saw a lot of these odd looking trees. 
And we will have to go back again on a clear day to really see the spectacular views! 

No comments:

Post a Comment